Preparing jollof rice the Ghana Style should not be a difficult task. Jollof rice is a popular food enjoyed by a lot of Ghanaians, Nigerians, and other West Africans. It can be prepared in several ways; can be made with meat, vegetables, or tofu. The uniquely colored rice is often enjoyed at dinnertime, and also served at various parties, engagements and weddings.
1 can Tomato Plumps &Tomato puree
4 cups of rice, pepper, garlic, ginger, 3 large onions, chicken seasoning,
2 cups mixed veggies and salt
- Prepare chicken, wash and pat dry.
- Add salt to season
- Blend some onion,ginger, garlic and pepper
- Add to the chicken, add chicken season if you want.
- Steam the chicken for about 8-10 min.
- Blend plump tomatoes, with some onion and pepper depending on how spicy you want your Jollof rice.
- Slice the remaining onions into medium sizes.
- Start making the stew or gravy by frying the sliced onions in about 3 table spoons of veggie oil and allow to cook for about 2 mins
- Add 4 tablespoons of tomato puree and keep stirring for about 8 min till it is reduced.
- Add the blended tomato mixture and allow to cook and reduce for about 10 more minutes, Stirring intermittently.
- When the steamed chicken is ready, strain out the stock and allow to cool.
- Deep fry chicken for the golden brown crusty finish.
- Put the fried chicken aside.
- Add the stock to the stew and allow to cook for about 5 minutes
- Add your chicken to the stew (optional as chicken can be served separately when the Jollof rice is done).
- Add the mixed veggies and cook for a couple of minutes (scoop some stew out if preferred to be served with Jollof rice later).
- Add the rice and reduce the heat to very low. Cover the rice with kitchen foil and allow the food to steam through.