You can decide to go the easy way and buy our shito so you save yourself the stress. Or, you can decide to go through the whole process of making the shito from scratch. If you decide on the latter, you can go through the step-by-step recipe below to guide you make the best shito.
- Fresh pepper
- Dried powdered shrimps
- Dried herring
- Chili powder(pepper powder)
- Tomato paste
- All purpose seasoning
- Vegetable oil
DEAL OF THE WEEK - YOU CAN PURCHASE SHITO FOR A DISCOUNTED PRICE HERE
- Wash the vegetables(pepper, ginger, onion and garlic) and blend.
- Heat enough oil in a large saucepan, add the the tomato paste/puree stir for about 5-8 minutes. Add the blended vegetables and stir continuously.
- Add the dried herring, powdered shrimps and powdered cloves and stir.
- Add seasoning, powdered pepper, salt and other preferred spices. Reduce the heat and stir intermittently till it turns dark brown.
- Allow it to cool very well and put in a dry clean container with the oil on top and store for about 2-3 months (Can be kept refrigerated).
- Always use a dry clean spoon or fork to serve. Serve with kenkey, banku, rice, waakye or any preferred dish.