Healthy foods can sometimes be bland. Especially if you are on a diet and have to do away with all the juicy bits (the baked beans, corned beef, salad creams etc.) of your salad. But it is also totally possible to enjoy your salad without mayonnaise. A healthier salad dressing is equally as tasty. You may also add your proteins to get a fully packed meal.
Here’s what we call the ‘A diet vegetable salad’. A healthy, colorful and tasty way to enjoy your salad. Easy to prepare and exciting to your taste buds.
Preparation time: 10 mins
- 1 head romaine Lettuce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 large tomato
- 2 medium sized cucumbers
- Spring onion
- 1 small red onion
- I cup mixed bell peppers(red, green and yellow)
- ½ tbsp. black pepper -optional
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps. refined/clear honey
- 1 large garlic clove (crushed and chopped)
How to make it
- Wash the lettuce leaves in salt or vinegar solution. Also wash all your vegetables.
- Pat them with a clean napkin or paper napkin to absorb excess moisture.
- Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces with your hands into a large salad bowl.
- Peel your cucumbers. Slice it in half along the elongated part and remove the seeds. Now cut it up into chunky half-moon shapes and pour into the bowl.
- Add your cherry tomatoes.
- Cut your tomatoes into thin wedges. You can make them thick but since we already have our whole cherry tomatoes, we can go for thin slices.
- Finely chop your spring onions and add it to your salad.
- For that extra sharp taste, cut your red onion into thin slices and pour into your salad.
- Add your cup of mixed bell peppers chopped.
- Sprinkle with a little black pepper to taste.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, honey and garlic in a bowl.
- Drizzle on salad!
Yummy! There you go, a perfect combination of delicious and healthy. Enjoy your vegetable salad with some wine.